Simple Machine: Lever
Rules for Catapults:
- Use materials that will be strong and safe for yourself and others.
- Only aim the catapult at a target and away from other people.
- Only use soft projectiles at school (e.g. pom-poms)
- Only make and use catapults under adult supervision and when an adult says it is ok.
Think like an engineer!
- What happens if you use more or less paddle pop sticks in the stack? What is the best number to improve the distance?
- What else could you add to the lever to create a place for the projectile (pom-pom)?
- What else could you use as a fulcrum? How does the shape and size of the fulcrum effect your catapult?
- Can you build your catapult so you can launch the pom-pom and land on a target (such as a bucket)?